Plug it and go play

Plug it and go play


Having spent some more time away from the bike I was left thinking: Sealing the exhaust up hadn't stopped it popping so what was causing it? "Well popping is caused by air getting to the exhaust so either you did a crap job of tightening up the header pipe or it's the PAIR system" I thought to myself.
The PAIR valve allows fresh air into the exhaust system to continue the burn of the exhaust gasses on their departure to lower the emissions. This should create no problems with the standard end can but put a straight through can on it and you might get popping and banging on the overrun. 
Maybe I needed a step back from the bike to see this but I thought what harm can it do to try? as it happens the task is quite reversible and doesn't cost anything to simply block the system and if it works I might go ahead and remove it completely.

PAIR valve isolation

With the aid of the Haynes manual and this guide from VFR discussions I got to it.
I wont give a step by step guide here as someone else did already (duh). Admittedly this guide is for a VTEC but it basically describes what I did just with the valve in a more annoying place which I will describe.

Basically the PAIR valve is under the forward left corner of the air box which required said pain in the ass box to be removed. Once you are there you just need to take off the feed hose and block it as per the other guide. There are two images of the PAIR valve below for your viewing pleasure.


Flapper valve plumbing removal

A hickup I did hit with this mod was when removing the airbox I knocked the 90 degree elbow off of the bottom of  the flapper valve solenoid. This is the second time I have achieved this as:
1) the hose is too bloody short,
2)it is made of plastic so fragile, and
3) I forgot 1 and 2.
As my flapper valve is isolated I chose to just remove all of the plumbing as well as the vacuum chamber and one way valve. I just left the solenoid (I didn't much fancy finding out it would cause a fault light) and the hose coming from the inlet manifold which I block off with a short piece of carbon rod and a tie rap. 






Result?

I was expecting very little but was shocked to find a far more ridable bike. All of the banging and popping was gone and the bike's pulling allot harder. Result!
Now all the PAIR system does is add air into the exhaust so shouldn't have done anything bar make things a little quieter so I am guessing I was getting air from the flapper valve plumbing somewhere. As this vacuum comes from the inlet; a leak would cause a performance drop at best so chances are the break I noticed on disassembley might well have been there from before I touched it.
Either way things are allot better on the VFR now so a big whoop from me for a free fix!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time for a change

Dream screen

Clear and bright